At last, there is a flicker of light at the end of long, dark tunnel. Bihar now seems poised to leave the lantern age behind, to put it literally, with the state likely to get over 4,000MW by the end of 2014 or early 2015, thus redeeming chief minister Nitish Kumar's pledge during the 2010 assembly polls to turn the corner in the power sector by 2015.

This change in the bleak power scenario has been possible with the Centre recently allocating power to the state from the NTPC's Bihar-based Barh super thermal power station (STPS) stage-I (2x660MW) and stage-II (2x660MW) with effect from the date of commercial operation of the plants.

According to official sources, unit one of the stage-II of Barh STPS would start generating power by January next year while unit two would be operational by July 2013. Bihar would get 50% of the total power generated from the stage II.

Similarly, unit-I of the stage-I would be operational by June next year and unit-II by December next year. Bihar will get 523MW power from stage-I, which is 26.42% of the total generation, and 50% from the stage-II, i.e. 660MW. The remaining power from the Barh STPS has been allocated among four states - Jharkhand, West Bengal, Odisha and Sikkim. Thus, in total, Bihar would be getting approximately 1183MW of additional power by next year from Barh STPS alone, against Bihar's current central allocation of 1833MW.

Besides, Bihar has entered into agreements with Essar Power Limited for 450MW and 300MW in two stages and Kamalanga Power Company of Andhra Pradesh for 260MW, adding up to 1010MW. Essar Power would be supplying 450MW by July 2014 and 300MW by October 2015. Similarly, 260MW power is expected from the AP-based company by October 2015.

This is not all. Bihar's own power plant at Barauni would start generating 110MWx2 of power by March next year while its extension (250MWx2) was expected to go into generation by 2015, said an official. The state's joint venture power plant (110MWx2) at Kanti in Muzaffarpur district would start generation next year and its extension would generate power (195MWx2) by 2015.

Nabinagar power plant (250MWx4), set up in collaboration with railways, would give 100MW of power as Bihar's share by 2014-15. The joint venture between Bihar and NTPC at Nabinagar is expected to start its first unit by November 2015, from which 660MW would be made available.

Jharkhand-based Damodar Valley Corporation's power plant would soon be giving 100MW power to Bihar. A power purchase agreement for it was in final stage of being signed, said BSEB spokesman H R Pandey.

According to the latest energy survey conducted by Central Electricity Authority (CEA), Bihar's energy demand would touch around 3,777MW power by 2014.

Views: 189

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Its great news...!

In the past seven years, the Nitish government has struggled to improve the power situation in the state often accusing the UPA government of putting up stumbling blocks by not granting the coal linkages for setting up new thermal power projects.

In 2007, the Centre had allocated a coal block in Jharkhand to Bihar but the Nitish government had rejected it saying it would take many years to develop the block.

But now, the Centre has decided to supply coal to support extension of the Barauni and Kanti projects. The Union coal ministry has asked Coal India to supply 23 lakh tonnes of coal every year to Bihar under special circumstances. Besides, it has also decided to set up a 4,000-mw ultra power project to make Bihar self-reliant in the energy sector. Last month, the Centre also sent a high-level technical team of officials from the Central Electricity Authority and Power finance Corporation for probable site inspection for a 4,000-mw ultra power project.

Read more at: http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/i-day-nitish-kumar-confident-of-...

Ranjan ji. mai yahan pe kuch aur baat kahna chahunga. When there was no electricity in villages of Bihar then people used to live in dark but now when most of the villages are having electricity common people are misusing that. There is no scarcity of fuel in villages but of the shake of rest people are using electric heaters. And this is making loss of much power. when we get nothing then we cry nd when get something we misuse.

Dr Tarkeshwar

Aap ne ek dum sahi baat kahi..hai..itna hi nhai..electricity ki chori.karne wale ki tadat bahut hai..Personal benefit ke chalte...jan hit bhul jate hai..Har place me electricity aapurti ke saath iske prayog ke liye...awarness..ki bhi..jarurat..hai..saath me strict regulation.

Dr Tarkeshwar said:

Ranjan ji. mai yahan pe kuch aur baat kahna chahunga. When there was no electricity in villages of Bihar then people used to live in dark but now when most of the villages are having electricity common people are misusing that. There is no scarcity of fuel in villages but of the shake of rest people are using electric heaters. And this is making loss of much power. when we get nothing then we cry nd when get something we misuse.

First we should wait for 2015 for electricity in whole Bihar and then Govt will definitely take some strong decisions for the misusing/thieving of electricity.

Currently Bihar is top in the list of misusing of electricity.   

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Forum

Funny Video

Started by People of Bihar Jul 31, 2017. 0 Replies

Industrilisation in bihar? how!

Started by Ca Subhash Kumar Singh. Last reply by Rajesh kumar jha Mar 10, 2017. 3 Replies

Markanadya Katju on Giving Bihar to Pakistan

Started by People of Bihar Oct 2, 2016. 0 Replies

Developing our own state instead of migrating to other parts of the country.

Started by Rannkumar chaurasia. Last reply by Rannkumar chaurasia Oct 6, 2014. 11 Replies

Vijay Goyal: STOP UP Bihar People to come to Delhi

Started by People of Bihar. Last reply by Ashutosh Kumar Sinha Aug 2, 2014. 2 Replies

Sponsors

© 2019       Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service